- Track: Deploying and Hosting
- Topic: Quo Vadis Beta Cluster? Towards better testing and staging environments
So called "beta" sites have been commonly used as testing and staging environment for code changes before these are shipped to production. There are several issues with these sites used like a pre-production environment
- they are hosted on the de facto not maintained infrastructure
- There is no easy automated way to set the configuration (in the sense of extensions and services enabled, features set enabled, and other config options) of the testing/staging site, not to mention being able to launch a pre-produiction environment with the particular configuration and software versions, e.g. when intending to test compatibility of the new feature with different versions of extensions, skins, etc.
- They are actual "permanent" sites, i.e. they're not suited for use as mid-/short-term living staging environments
In this session we will look into what requirements we would have for the staging environments used in our work, and also see what possible solutions could we see that could replace "beta" sites as testing and staging sites (e.g. using new possibilities allowed with the adoption of container-based solutions).
Questions to answer and discuss
Pre-reading for all Participants
- [add links here]
[link to notes document (gdoc and / or etherpad)]
Notes and Facilitation guidance
Session Style / Format
- [what type of format will this session be?]
Session Leaders please:
- Add more details to this task description.
- Coordinate any pre-event discussions (here on Phab, IRC, email, hangout, etc).
- Outline the plan for discussing this topic at the event.
- Optionally, include what this session will not try to solve.
- Update this task with summaries of any pre-event discussions.
- Include ways for people not attending to be involved in discussions before the event and afterwards.
Post-event action items: