- Track: Deploying and Hosting
- Topic: Feature Release and Management in MediaWiki/Wikimedia platform
A/B testing, gradual feature rollout, and similar practices are standard practices used by Product Managers to release new functionalities of software products. MediaWiki does not provide such functionalities to team developing and releasing software products in the MediaWiki environment. Due to lack of such functionality, developer end up creating their own "feature flag" mechanism and gradual rollout hacks. Having a built-in feature like it in the platform would ease developers life as they wouldn't need to continuously re-invent the wheel when Product comes with the Rollout plan, but also would help developers by allowing separating the change of the behaviour of the software product from the code changes (and deployments)
Questions to answer and discuss
Pre-reading for all Participants
- [add links here]
[link to notes document (gdoc and / or etherpad)]
Notes and Facilitation guidance
Session Style / Format
- [what type of format will this session be?]
Session Leaders please:
- Add more details to this task description.
- Coordinate any pre-event discussions (here on Phab, IRC, email, hangout, etc).
- Outline the plan for discussing this topic at the event.
- Optionally, include what this session will not try to solve.
- Update this task with summaries of any pre-event discussions.
- Include ways for people not attending to be involved in discussions before the event and afterwards.
Post-event action items: