This task represents the work of writing a spec for the affordance for replying to specific comments.
This spec will include the following components...
- Target audience: whose needs is this feature intended to address?
- Junior Contributors
- Challenges: what challenges stand in the way of these peoples' needs being met?
- Participants in the usability tests we ran (T243251) drafted the titles and subjects of the new discussions they were starting as if they were authoring new content on the article page. Additionally, no test participants signed their discussion topics, potentially causing more work for someone seeking to respond. For more details about the challenges this intervention is responding to, please see: T234825#5962717.
- Purpose: why are these challenges important for us to address?
- We think Junior Contributors progressing as editors to Wikipedia depends on their ability to communicate with people who have more experience editing. If Junior Contributors continue to have difficulty with the "starting a new discussion" workflow, we think they will be less likely to have a meaningful/helpful interaction with someone capable of helping them.
- Plan: what we should plan to build to address these challenges?
- See: T234825#5962717.
- Impact: what impact are we intending to have by addressing the "Challenges" above?
- By addressing the "Challenges" above, we intend to help Junior Contributors more easily initiate conversations on Wikipedia talk pages leading them to receive the information/knowledge they need to successfully complete the "task" (broadly defined) they are seeking to accomplish.
- Measurement: how we should measure the impact of these changes?
- This will be defined in T247803
- The "Components" listed above are posted to the task description of T243248