Page MenuHomePhabricator

Refine the process to avoid a huge amount of work for communities getting the features
Open, NormalPublic

Description

Over this process, we've found that getting the features requires a lot of work. This task is to think about the next steps, to have a good balance between what we ask, and the time and workload needed to achieve it.

During the last quarter, we've changed some elements in the process, like refining the needs by clarifying the request, or marking some pages as optional.

There is some incompressible work to do when the communities get the features

  • translations for the interface
  • legal document to to translate

Some possible leads for further investigation:

  • get the features one at the time
  • deploy everything without translations so that the communities can see how they work and be motivated by translations
  • only ask for the "optional" translations after all the non-optional things are complete

Event Timeline

Trizek-WMF triaged this task as Normal priority.Mon, Oct 7, 6:04 PM
Trizek-WMF created this task.
MMiller_WMF updated the task description. (Show Details)Tue, Oct 8, 4:11 AM

On our side: translating all the legal documents can be really tricky for languages that lack a legal writing standard. And it is extremely lenghty.

Trizek-WMF added a comment.EditedThu, Oct 10, 8:17 AM

On our side: translating all the legal documents can be really tricky for languages that lack a legal writing standard. And it is extremely lenghty.

Makes sense: we have the same standard issue in Breton. Would displaying the Legal information in Spanish (or French) be accepted?

Samat added a comment.EditedMon, Oct 14, 9:39 PM
  1. There was a specific request during the community discussion, that we should not deploy a new feature where the interface is not yet translated.
  2. "only ask for the "optional" translations after all the non-optional things are complete" sounds reasonable for me.

It was deterrent for me that several hundreds of sentences of the privacy policy are untranslated according to the translation tool, while the page is 100% translated. This is a "bug", which is misleading and can demotivate translators.

Or this page shows partly the English original text, while the translation is 100% ready. (Probably a kind of cache problem or similar, and rather a minor issue, but part of the preparation experience.)