As an admin of a new Wikibase instance I want to quickly create a basic ontology and basic required properties (eg formatterUrlProperty)
Some components (either Wikibase itself or some extensions) rely on special properties or items which have a special behavior. For instance, Wikibase has a $formatterUrlProperty configuration variable which expects a PID. This property is then used to render values for external identifiers. The Quality Constraints extension relies on bazillions of special PIDs and QIDs to define the constraints. The OpenRefine reconciliation interface also relies on some (instance of, subclass of…).
We need a workflow to set up these magic properties.
- Boot your Wikibase with Docker
- Manually login as WikibaseAdmin and create the properties / items
- Put the properties / ids of these entities in the various config files of the various components that require them
- Reboot Wikibase.
As the docker-compose config grows and integrates more services (such as the ones mentioned above), it will become quite inconvenient to create all these special entities manually. It seems hard to do this process completely automatically as part of the Docker boot process (since we can't really avoid restarting Wikibase after formatterUrlProperty has been set), but there could be a maintenance script that creates all these special entities and store their ids in a file that is accessible to all relevant Docker containers, which would then feed these ids into their own config files.
- a script exists that creates a few basic properties
- the properties are linked to their corresponding property on Wikidata
- the properties have at least English labels, descriptions and aliases
- it is documented in the setup documentation