Right now this information is spread across several somewhat obscure pages:
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Revisions (for retrieving Wikitext, although it is barely mentioned at all)
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Parsing_wikitext (for retrieving parsed content)
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TextExtracts#API (for retrieving first X sentences or characters, parsed)
Not to mention the Page Content Service for Wikimedia wikis.
As this is one of the most common things that the MediaWiki API is used for, we should have a high-level documentation page that points developers in the right direction depending on their specific needs.
- A page exists on https://www.mediawiki.org called something like "API:Get the contents of a page"
- This page describes the various options available for retrieving page content via the API, with examples, and either links off to more specific documentation or transcludes such documentation within the page.
- The page is linked from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:API.