- Track: Deploying and Hosting
- Topic: Continuous Delivery/Deployment in Wikimedia: The future of the wiki creation process
The wiki creation process is very cumbersome and unstable, as can be seen for example in the comment T158730#5527658 and in some other tickets. This greatly slows down the creation of new projects and wikis in new languages. Improving this process probably needs to be in conjunction with the new Deployment Pipeline (T234641), but this topic deserves its own discussion because it has special considerations for the end users that may get lost in a big technical discussion about deployment.
Questions to answer and discuss
Question: How can the wiki creation process be stabilized and automated as much as possible? (T228745, T158730)
Significance: Without such stabilization and automation, the creation of wikis in new languages is extremely difficult for end users and unstable for DB and Site reliability engineers.
Question: Does the automation of this process have to wait for the completion of the Deployment Pipeline system, or can it be done indepently?
Significance: The completion of the Deployment Pipeline system may take years, and this issue is severely broken now.
Pre-reading for all Participants
- T228745: Allow creating an independent "incubator wiki" instead of hosting all new wikis in one Incubator wiki with prefixes
[link to notes document (gdoc and / or etherpad)]
Notes and Facilitation guidance
Session Style / Format
- [what type of format will this session be?]
Session Leaders please:
- Add more details to this task description.
- Coordinate any pre-event discussions (here on Phab, IRC, email, hangout, etc).
- Outline the plan for discussing this topic at the event.
- Optionally, include what this session will not try to solve.
- Update this task with summaries of any pre-event discussions.
- Include ways for people not attending to be involved in discussions before the event and afterwards.
Post-event action items: