T235592's task description contains the overarching rationale for why this feature is prioritized.
This particular version – v3.0 – is intended to introduce new tools to give contributors more leverage when using/participating on talk pages.
As a contributor I can...
- Quickly cite a my or another contributor's previous edit
- Quote a portion of an existing reply in the one I am drafting
- Quickly link to Wikipedia policies
- Platform(s): mobile web + desktop
- Namespaces: all talk namespaces
- Mockups are created for the entire Replying to a specific comment... workflows for the platforms listed in the "Details" section above.