While working on the first baseline patch for T233813: Separate user preferences for Page previews and Reference previews for Beta, we realized the behavior for anonymous users is currently underspecified. As of now:
- Not logged in users see a settings icon in Page-Previews popups, and can disable them via a cookie (more precisely: webStorage).
- Such a setting does not exist in Reference Previews. An (incomplete) task for this exists: T234205: Add cog wheel to the popup to disable ReferencePreviews.
- As of now, disabling page previews via this cookie probably disables all popup types.
- It might also be that reference previews can never be disabled for anonymous users.
- Should anonymous users even see Reference Previews in the first place?
- If yes, as an opt-out or opt-in feature? Or should it copy the Page-Previews behavior 1:1?
- Should anonymous users get a single setting to disable all popup types, or one checkbox per popup type?
- How should the UI for this little disable/enable dialog look like, and what's the wording? (Relevant: T219153: Change Popups descriptive title to also fit reference previews)
Notice we might have three different popup types later via T208758: Display popups for annotated <math> tags without touching popups extension code.
Suggested baseline (a.k.a. "cheapest way to make it not obviously broken"):
- Make sure the current cookie solution indeed disables all popup types.
- Change all relevant messages to talk about all popup types, not only page previews.
- Tackle T234205 soon-ish.