Name : Shu Zhang
Time zone : Pacific Time
IRC nick : None
Github : https://github.com/kiranofans
Location : Canada
Working hours : 11:00 am to 7:30 pm Pacific Time
This project aims to enhance the My Dashboard page of Wiki Education Dashboard Android app with the following features:
- The total number of user participation (based on the number of programs created, and the number of courses enrolled) on the top end of the page
- Display percentage to compare user participation among users according to user participation value.
- An automatic/semi-auto recommendation ViewPager or RecyclerView list along with a title and a brief explanation for each image/card below the user participation part and above user's programs list to recommend existing Programs, Campaigns, or Activity Courses based on the number of reviews or enrollments factors.
Mentor: @Ujjwalagrawal17 (Android development, Kotlin, Code-Review)
|Nov 26 to Dec 23||UI design for displaying the number of user participation, the percentage used to compare user participation among users, and the ViewPager or RecylerView list for Program, Campaign, or Course recommendation onto My Dashboard page.|
|Dec 23 to Jan 6||Implementing UI for the user participation, the percentage to compare user participation among users, and the recommendation part in the My Dashboard|
|Jan 6 to Jan 22||Displaying the total number value of user participation based on the number of programs created, and the number of courses enrolled.|
|Jan 22 to Jan 31||Displaying and implementing the percentage used to compare user participation among users based on user participation value.|
|Jan 31 to Feb 14||Implementing the recommendation part to recommend newly created programs, most enrolled or reviewed activity courses, programs, or campaigns.|
|Feb 14 to Feb 21||Testing, user feedback, and bug fixes; code documentation and code cleanup for submission.|
|Feb 21 to Feb 28||Mentors submit final student evaluations|
|Feb 28 to March 3||Final results of Outreachy round 19|
- UI design for all the three features
- UI implementation for all three features
- Implementing the percentage used to compare user participation among users based on user participation value
- Work on a separate branch on git and push code to the forked repository on a daily basis. Create a pull request when a feature done, or create a WIP pull request (draft PR) as implementing a feature in order to get help from other contributors and mentors.
- Online on Slack or GitHub in my working hours (11:00 am to 7:30 pm Pacific Time)
- Weekly reports will be published in meta-wiki user page
I am currently working as a junior Android front-end developer. I have only completed a 2 years diploma degree in Computer Science & Info System program at Douglas College, New Westminster, BC, Canada, and decided to involve in practical programming works.
I am eligible for the Outreachy round 19, and this is the first time for me to access the open-source software area. I hope I can gain more professional and practical working experience in the field of Android development.
I have worked as a junior Android front-end developer and a usual app tester for a software company that makes e-commerce platform in Android, iOS, and web. During the work, I have used both Java and Kotlin for implementing new features or fixing bugs of Android applications. I also have created some personal Android projects and exercises (Java) repositories on GitHub in order to gain more front-end development experiences.