T235592's task description contains the overarching rationale for why this feature is prioritized.
This particular version – v1.1 – is intended to expand basic reply functionality to ensure it satisfies the needs of Senior Contributors to the extent feature can be deployed to all wikis and to encourage "productive" interactions.
As a contributor I can...
- Adjust the size of the text input area
- Opt-in/out of watching the talk page before posting my reply
- Edit a reply I've posted without having to navigate to a separate view (T242562)
- Pre-populate reply with @ mentions of person who authored the comment you are responding to
- Platform(s): desktop
- Namespaces: all talk namespaces
- Mockups are created for the entire Replying to a specific comment... workflows for the platforms listed in the "Details" section above.
- Text input area: the place where contributors write their comments.