T235592's task description contains the overarching rationale for why this feature is prioritized.
This particular version – v2.0 – is intended to enhance the talk page read experience to help contributors more easily understand Talk Pages are spaces for discussion and how to participate in existing conversations.
As a contributor I can...
- Easily understand who the author of a post/comment is
- Easily differentiate between different replies and comments on the page
- Intuitively know how to reply to a specific post/comment
- Easily understand when content within a discussion was posted
- Platform(s): mobile web + desktop
- Namespaces: all talk namespaces
- Mockups are created for the user stories and platforms listed in the "User stories" and "Details" sections above.
- "When they are looking around for how to have a conversation with the other contributors to an article, they get confused and distracted by all the calls to action and lack of information hierarchy of a discussion/talk page, and of Wikipedia in general. So, many times, readers with no talk page experience get lost, and don’t understand how to accomplish the task until they have been patient enough to do some trial and error and discover what to do." | Source