Currently the release process for wdqs is error prone. Note that gui is a maven submodule and a git submodule.
- take master of wikidata/query/rdf locally
- bump the snapshot version (e.g. 0.3.4-SNAPSHOT -> 0.3.5-SNAPSHOT)
- push to gerrit a change for this to wikidata/query/rdf and wikidata/query/gui
- merge the gerrit patches
- run mvn to deploy the artifacts to the archiva repository (snapshot)
- This will generate the zip distribution containing both the server and the gui used by https://github.com/wmde/wikibase-docker for wdqs related images
To prepare the deployment of the server side components we must use the wikidata/query/deploy repository:
- delete the old snapshot and add the new ones for the blazegraph-service and lib/wikidata-query-tools-X.Y.Z-SNAPSHOT-jar-with-dependencies.jar artifacts, example commit: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/wikidata/query/deploy/+/550342
To prepare the deployment of the client side components we must use the same wikidata/query/deployrepository:
- bump the gui submodule to the commit ref we want to deploy (e.g. https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/wikidata/query/deploy/+/549831)
The problems of this procedure are:
- There are no guarantees that the version in archiva matches what is committed in the git repository, since we push to archiva on the same working copy as the one used to bump the version there are no guarantees that the version bump commit does not become a merge commit once validated in gerrit or worse being rebased after the fact.
- gui being a git submodule of wikidata/query/rdf is confusing and error prone, the gui is being developed on its own repo but when bumping the snapshot version of wikidata/query/rdf we create a separate commit for it. Meaning that this repo has two independent sources of changes.
The preferred solution would be to separate completely the gui from the query/rdf project.
Remove the gui submodule from wikidata/query/rdf.
- decide how the zip distribution should be managed, should we just provide a zip for the updater and the war for server side components? Or should we continue to provide a zip with server side and UI components.
- please add more