A key feature of the Desktop Improvements project will be a new and improved site header.
The header will features:
- a new logo
- a new layout
- an improved search experience
- a button for a collapsible sidebar
- a table of contents? will it be a sticky header? Stay tuned for more design iterations!
Some of these features might require structural or architectural changes to MediaWiki Core.
Features are subject to change! Design is iterative and subject to user-feedback.
This task encompasses all the tasks related to building out the new header.
- T237635 - Decide how feature management will work for the Desktop Improvements project inside Vector.
- T240489 - A conversation around the Vector DOM structure and whether we should change it.
- T239248 - Separate the header into a stand-alone component.
- 2BTASKD (design) - Do we have a responsive layout for the header?
- T232140 - Create a new logo implementation that can account for multiple types of logos (thin/long, square).
- T114695 - Split out the current $mwLogo ResourceLoader module so it isn't loaded unnecessarily.
- 2BTASKD - Whether to use an <img> tag or a CSS background image for the logo.
- 2BTASKD [SPIKE] - Investigate how new logo SVGs can be created. Wikipedia has ~300 localized logos, and there are 12 Wikimedia projects to account for.
- 2BTASKD - Search might be an area to experiment with a new front-end framework as advised by the FAWG.
- 2BTASKD - Design a new search UI.
- 2BTASKD - Consult with the Search Platform team to ensure their core metrics are not impaired by the new search UI.
This feature should only be added to the header when the collapsible sidebar has been built.