With the migration of etcd3 done for staging and codfw without a hitch, chances are that eqiad will go fine as well (famous last words). Below is the plan for upgrading to a security supported kubernetes release
We are at 1.12.9-1 currently. Currently supported releases are
1.18.0 is at alpha1. After 1.18 is released (probably mid of next quarter) the support cycle will probably drop 1.15.
In 1.16 breaking changes to all our charts were introduced and hence all our charts have to be upgraded. However we should aim for it in order to be in the 3 release security support window.
- Identify potential problems from the upgrades to 1.13, 1.14 and 1.15 and address them in the charts
- Perform the upgrade to the last supported 1.13 version
- Address issues stemming from the upgrade
- Rinse and repeat for 1.14 and 1.15
- Update all charts to be compatible with 1.16
- Perform the upgrade to the last supported 1.16 version
- Perform the upgrade to the last supported 1.17 version (stretch)