- Name of tool/project: SpamRegex
- Project home page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SpamRegex
- Name of team requesting review:
- Primary contact: @ashley (extension maintainer @ ShoutWiki)
- Target date for deployment:
- Link to code repository / patchset: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/g/mediawiki/extensions/SpamRegex
Description of the tool/project
The SpamRegex extension creates a new page, "Special:SpamRegex", to filter out unwanted links or text. A full list of currently blocked links or text can be viewed on this same special page. The spamregexed expressions cannot be used in page content, edit summaries or page move summaries, depending on what was chosen by the user who blocked links or text.
Description of how the tool will be used at WMF
Allow privileged users to restrict addition of spam phrases without making the list of phrases public
No other dependencies than an up-to-date MW core installation.
Has this project been reviewed before?
Not by the WMF.
Working test environment
Check out the extension files from git, add wfLoadExtension( 'SpamRegex' ); to LocalSettings.php and also consider granting the spamregex permission to an existing user group, like sysop or bureaucrat (e.g. $wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['spamregex'] = true;), then rerun maintenance/update.php to have it generate the spam_regex database table. Note that on ShoutWiki this table is shared between all wikis; WMF may or may not want to do the same.