Wondering whether this should be a subtask of (closed) T225769: Develop workshop toolkits for small wiki technical contributors.
I sometimes find requests in Phab for help with customizing the main page of wikis.
That is unfortunately out of scope for Phab tasks but of course the problem still exists.
- Layout issues, often on smaller screen widths; e.g. T241499: Need help with mobile friendly main page designs on nds-nl.wiki and nds.wiktionary (or revert to MFSpecialCaseMainPage), T231949: Responsive Community portal project page on sk wiki, T104525: Afrikaans main page scrolls horizontally
- How to copy templates; e.g. T114340: Some links on main page is not working on or.wiki / https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Templates#Copying_from_one_wiki_to_another
Mistakes easily happen, see e.g. T107743: "Wiktionary:Main Page" has unbalanced html span tags
- Should probably cover how to not abuse <table> for layout when the table does not include tabular data, but that requires using actual HTML as MediaWiki syntax does not offer this: Instead, <div style="float:left">image on the left</div> This is some text right of that image <div style="clear:both"></div>
- Should cover / keep T32405: [EPIC] MobileFrontend extension should stop special-casing main page in mind which is not always known. See T174406#3567413 for such an example.
- Might welcome input from Reading Web, pages exist such as https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/Mobile_Page_Issues
Poster at 36C3 which reminded me of this again: