The partial blocking interface is able to specify blocks against lists of namespaces and pages, and has a limited number of selectors to block specific actions. This request is to evaluate converting the action blocking from selectors to a list as well, allowing blocking of actions such as upload/move/etc.
This work will then be used to fulfill some community-requested block actions:
- T6995: Allow users to be blocked from uploading files only
- T199918: Allow a user to be blocked from creating pages only
- T194529: Allow a user to be blocked from moving/renaming pages
- T242785: Allow a user to be blocked from sending thanks
- T221922: MassMessage fails to respect a user's partial block
- T274911: Allow users to be partially blocked from marking edits as minor
- There is a way to do partial blocks against specific actions such as the ones in the tasks listed above.
- Every new action is added as a new checkbox in the Block form.
- This work can be tested with end users on testwiki before a wider rollout.
- There is a possibility that we will switch up the design in the future to go with a MenuTagMultiSelect widget instead of individual checkboxes. Growing length of the Block form has been a community concern in the past (T217363: Consider minimizing the presence of Partial Blocks UI elements on Special:Block). This possibility is being discussed with the editor community on the wiki.