This tool allows uploading pictures in bulk from your Google drive directly to Wikimedia Commons. See similar upload tools here: https://tools.wmflabs.org/admin/tools#!/search/upload%20
Current tool workflow
- User authorizes our app via Wikimedia OAuth.
- User opens Google drive through the app, authorizing read only access to our app.
- User select photographs to upload.
- User modifies information such as description, title of the image.
- User clicks on an upload button and the app uploads the images to Wikimedia Commons. We also return a list of URLs to the user to see their uploads on the wiki.
Feature requests (sorted from high to low priority)
- Add more metadata to the image before upload. Date, categories, captions, license etc. See related tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T241596, https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T241425
- Ensure upload through the app works exactly as it would look like an upload from Media uploader.
- Build a stats counter to track the number of uploads processed by the app. Would help in building trust in the community. https://github.com/tonythomas01/gdrive-to-commons/issues/17
- Other UI changes (improve the editing button, ability to preview thumbnail images, add logo, etc).
- Infrastructure: Navigate through the Google app verification process and see what we can do to get the application verified by Google. See related task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T226052
- It would be interesting to run a feedbak/usability campaign within the community to figure out the usefulness/adoptability of the app. Probably some sort of survey which we can do on the village pump or something like that.
Skills required python-django, JS, html, CSS, python