Why we need this?
When a user lands on a search screen our primary goal needs to provide them better search experience which comprised of they find what they are searching for as long as there is a written article on searched items. In order to achieve above, it is important that users type in the same language in which search is configured. At the moment, the Language option in the application menu controls both the interface and search language. This could result in a situation where the user is typing in a language different than what the search is configured to and no results are returned without any indications why. As we are aware that on KaiOS, it is not possible for us to identify what language users have set for typing which makes it hard for us to know which language search needs to configure. In given constraints, we could follow the below steps to provide a better search experience.
- Make the interface language always the same as the phone. Set it to "English" when the phone language is not supported in our app.
- Set the default search language to English. We have gathered evidence from qualitative and quantitative research that suggests users use English for textual searches on KaiOS devices, Also keep the “Search Wikipedia” text inside the search bar in English.
- If users attempt to search in a language other than English then prompt them with a message informing that they are trying to search using non-english language and give them a list from which they can choose which language they just typed the query in. Execute the search query in the language user selects and set that language to default search language, also change the "Search Wikipedia" text inside the search bar.
- Language option in the app is going to use to change the interface language only.
- At last, we could also modify the “No results found” screen to provide some more details to users.
There is a possibility that users could type a search query in regional language using the roman script. Above flow will not be able to provide desired search outcomes for any such queries.