While trying to debug the issues with the GraphViz mediawiki extension see http://wiki.bitplan.com/index.php/GraphViz_MediaWiki_extension being broken by recent changes in MediaWiki e.g. change the image table I ran into the followup problem of getting an error message:
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
With two recursive greps i found that the message comes from ImageMap.php and that it has a few identical code lines of the type:
return self::error( 'imagemap_invalid_image' );
This kind of error handling IMHO needs a few improvments.
- it should be clearly visible that the issue is from the ImageMap extension
- it should be stated what the details of the problem are e.g. which of the multiple error reasons is the one that led to the problem
- there should be a clear hint to what is suggested to fix the problem
- there should be a clear hint on where to find more information on the issue - e.g. at least a link to the extension.