Hi CommRel! Our planned Q3 data center switchover is now a planned Q4 data center switchover, due to some rearrangement of plans in SRE. We haven't settled on a date yet, or even a month, so this task is a bit of a placeholder for now, but let's move the conversation here anyway.
Just like in previous years, the switchover will involve a brief period of read-only time for all wikis, but we expect it to be shorter than before -- probably somewhere in the neighborhood of three minutes of actual read-only time, within a longer announced window.
Notes from last time: https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Relations_Specialists/codfw/2018_lessons
I'll update this when we've picked out a date -- if you have any input on that, I'd love to hear it (Q4 team offsites, community events that we shouldn't interrupt, that sort of thing). Apart from that, let me know if you have any questions about the switchover, and otherwise feel free to ignore this task until the plan solidifies. Thanks!
Date: September 1
Time: between 14:00 and 15:00 UTC
- Tech News week 33 (initial warning)
- contacting translators to have the message being translated.
- message wikitech-l
- Tech news week 34 (reminder)
- Emailing mailing lists:
- wikitech-l once again
- wmfall (done by Ops)
- Added to the news on the Meta front page
- Message to communities
- village pumps
- bot coordination pages (done on Monday Aug. 31)
- Tech News week 36 (this is happening this week)
- Banner set for a display on all wikis 30 minutes before it happens