Page MenuHomePhabricator

Lint error counts on "Page information" page do not update, even with null edit
Open, MediumPublicBUG REPORT

Description

Steps to Reproduce:
Go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jonesey95/sandbox21

Use LintHint to view Linter errors, or just view the wikitext with a syntax highlighter enabled. The page has 49 Linter missing end tag errors. This count can be verified by viewing the wikitext in the section below "The following players took part in the tournament:", where dozens of instances of italic markup are unclosed.

Go to Page information. Observe that under the Lint errors section, the page is listed as having just 1 missing end tag error.

This discrepancy is not fixable via a purge or a null edit.

Expected Results:
Page information should show a count of 49 missing end tag errors.

This miscount is preventing the original page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Austrian_Darts_Open) and many other pages from being listed on the Special:Linterrors pages and on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Galobot/report/Articles_by_Lint_Errors which is a report of the top 1,000 mainspace pages by error count.

2014_Austrian_Darts_Open is not the only page with this problem. At this writing, the problem is also affecting 2013 UK Masters, 2014 Dutch Darts Masters, and 2014 European Darts Grand Prix.

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptFeb 28 2020, 1:07 AM

I think it is more likely that the errors relating to using the wikimarkup for italics but not closing it (which are automatically fixed by the parser to output valid html it seems) are not counted by the linter extension but are by linthint than anything to do with things not updating.

I don't think so. For example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Willoughby has the same type of error (unclosed italics). LintHint and the Page information both show 21 missing end tag errors. My experience has been that on most pages I have worked on, the number of errors reported on Page information has matched LintHint's error count.

Another one: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=1956_Finnish_Cup&type=revision&diff=943578321&oldid=934271489 had 157 missing end tags before I fixed them. I found the problems using an insource search. The article did not appear on the report linked above, but it should have. Before my edit, the article was edited on 5 January 2020, so its Page information lint error count should have been updated at that time.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding how Lint error counts get updated. Everything else in WP appears to be updated when a page is null-edited (Category membership, What links here, template transclusions, rendering), but maybe Lint error counts are updated via a different process. If that is the case, please fix that process so that it keeps counts up to date. Having an article that has been sitting with 157 Linter errors for multiple years (1956 Finnish Cup had not been edited significantly since 2016) is not helping gnomes clear up these Linter errors.

Here's another one, if it helps:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Pembrokeshire

There are 35 missing end tag errors on this page, but Page information shows only 14.

And another:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampshire_County_Cricket_Club_in_2017

This one has 30 missing end tags and 2 stripped tags, but Page information shows only 13 missing end tags and 1 stripped tag. This problem seems pretty widespread. It would be great if someone could look at it and at least explain what is happening so that we can work around it.

ssastry triaged this task as Medium priority.Mar 3 2020, 5:02 PM
ssastry added a subscriber: ssastry.

Thanks @Jonesey95 for the bug report and examples. We'll get to revisiting Linter bugs and new lints as part of the larger project to make Parsoid the default wikitext engine but till then, we are focused other background work. But, I expect we'll get to this in the next 2-3 quarters, likely sooner than later.