|Resolved||None||T242542 Develop, test and evaluate different formats to build technical capacity in smaller wikis|
|Resolved||srishakatux||T235583 Develop workshop concept with partner community for technical workshops in FY2019-20 Q4|
|Resolved||srishakatux||T246842 Organize an online workshop series for Indic language small wikis|
|Resolved||srishakatux||T246845 Understand the technical needs of Indic communities via a survey|
|Declined||srishakatux||T246848 Setup an MOU (agreement) for WMF and CIS to collaborate on the technical workshop in India|
|Resolved||srishakatux||T253372 Fetch list of interface admins on Indic wikis|
|Resolved||Aklapper||T256561 SWT Indic Workshop Series 2020: Run a session on Phabricator|
Update related to outreach & promotion so far:
- Message sent to Indic Wikis Village Pumps:
- Log: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Log?type=massmessage&user=KCVelaga&page=&wpdate=2020-05-16&tagfilter=&subtype=
- List of Indic Wikipedia wikis https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=19112563
- List of Indic Wikisource wikis https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=19330710
- Message posted on Indic Facebook groups (public): https://www.facebook.com/groups/WikimediansInIndia/ (1000+ members) & https://www.facebook.com/groups/Indicwikimedians/ (500+ members)
- Message posted about the Wikidata workshop: https://twitter.com/wikidataindia & https://www.facebook.com/wikidataindia/
- MediaWiki India mailing list: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-india/2020-May/000097.html
- Wikimedia India mailing list: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2020-May/014625.html
- Message to Indic-TechCom Facebook group (private)
- Message to all the interface admins of Indic Wikis
- Interface admins added here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_message_delivery/Targets/India_Wikis_Interface_Admins via T253372
- Example of a message sent to an interface admin on their talk page: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ebrahim#[Small_wiki_toolkits_%E2%80%93_Indic_workshop_series_2020]_Register_now!_-_Reminder
- Reminders for registration closing (in progress)
- Workshops scheduled
- Zoom meeting links created https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWT_Indic_Workshop_Series_2020/Workshops
- Invitation email sent to 39 candidates:
Invitation to attend the Small Wiki Toolkits Indic Workshops! Hello, Thank you for signing up for the Small Wiki Toolkits–Indic Workshop Series! We want to invite you to attend the following workshop(s): * Writing user scripts & gadgets: Saturday, 13 June, 9:00-11:30 IST (03:30 UTC) * Writing Wikidata queries: Sunday, 21 June, 9:00-11:30 IST (03:30 UTC) * Understanding the technical challenges of Indic language wikis: Saturday, 27 June, 18:00-19:30 IST (12:30 UTC) * Using project management and bug reporting on Phabricator: Sunday, 28 June, 18:00-19:30 IST (12:30 UTC) As we have limited spots per workshop, we are inviting participants to attend a workshop based on their preference indicated at the time of signing-up. Some next steps for you: * Make sure to check the pre-requisites and instructions for joining in advance of the workshop: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWT_Indic_Workshop_Series_2020/Workshops. * Add yourself next to a workshop for which we have invited you to give fellow attendees a chance to connect with you: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWT_Indic_Workshop_Series_2020/People. We plan to send you a reminder a day in advance of the workshop! In the meanwhile, mark your calendars–we look forward to your participation! Cheers, SWT Indic Workshop Series Team
First workshop "Writing user scripts & gadgets" took place on Saturday, June 13th. Video recording and slides are linked here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWT_Indic_Workshop_Series_2020/Workshops#Writing_user_scripts_&_gadgets
A follow-up email including a feedback survey was sent to 9 participants:
Writing user scripts & gadgets workshop: follow-up & feedback survey!
Second workshop "Writing Wikidata queries" took place on Sunday, June 21st. Video recording and slides are linked here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWT_Indic_Workshop_Series_2020/Workshops#Writing_Wikidata_queries
A follow-up email including a feedback survey was sent to ~17 participants:
Writing Wikidata queries workshop: follow-up & feedback survey! (only two points were different than the previous email):
- Small tasks: first thing first! Mahir has put together a follow-up task for all participants. You can work on this task, share your solutions and ask related questions to Mahir directly via email:
Explore Wikidata, and find an item on Wikidata that interests you. Note its "instance of" (P31) value, and choose at least one other property that is present on that item. Write a query that lists items with the P31 value that you chose that also have a value for that one other property. (You may limit the number of results returned by this query, but this limit should be 100 or more.) Have the query return the labels and descriptions for the items in your language (in both cases falling back to English if a label/description in your language is not present). For those items without a label/description in your language, add a label/description in your language to those items.
- Follow-up call: Some participants were interested in continuing the work after the scheduled end time, but unfortunately, we had to wrap-up. Please reply to this email and let us know if you would be interested in a follow-up meeting to continue learning to write Wikidata queries, and we will make sure to set it up soon.
A follow-up email to all participants of "Understanding the technical challenges.." and "Phabricator.." workshop was sent a few days after the workshops were concluded.
All photos & videos are now on Wikimedia Commons and documented here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWT_Indic_Workshop_Series_2020/Workshops.
(creating another task on writing a blog post)