We would like to give users the ability to collapse the sidebar. We believe this will lead to a cleaner reading and editing experience while continuing to give access to important functionality.
- Collapsed sidebar - sidebar will collapse when selecting the button adjacent to the logo
- Limit content width (parser-output). Strictly no changes to target content that is larger than this content width. That will be worked on later. (No responsive CSS for content at this point)
- Sidebar will be open by default for all users (with the possibility to close by default for logged-out users at a later time)
- State of the sidebar is preserved for logged-in users across sessions (nice to have: globally)
- Sidebar should be sticky, independent of the content
(Initial) logged-out - sidebar open, persistent throughout session
(Eventual) logged-out - sidebar closed, persistent throughout session
Logged-in - acts as a preference, persistent across sessions (nice to have, globally)
http://patchdemo.wmflabs.org/wikis/24b6fd1f6a50fc53846f92f943ce79a4/w/ (Code: GitHub - commits of layout | GitHub - usermenu | Gerrit - squash)
Design spec here: T247038: Design spec for collapsible sidebar
Metrics (qualitative and quantitative)
- Do people discover that the sidebar is collapsible?
- Do people collapse it and leave it collapsed?
- Is there any effects on account creation?
- Is there any effect on donations?
- kowiki gadget