Opting out requires significant effort from the user.
The necessary steps
- Click (1) link on sidebar
- Network request: load "Preferences" ("User profile" tab)
- Network request: load "Appearance" tab
Find "Skin preferences" section in the middle of the page(fixed in T248644)
- Click (2) the checkbox
- Find and click (3) "Save" button
- Network request: reload "Preferences"
- Return to wiki page:
- Press back button (load "Appearance" tab), press back button again (load wiki page).
- Or: enter page title in Search.
- Or: click "Main Page"/other nav link in sidebar, assuming that's where the user came from.
- Can we load the "Appearance" tab in the first request?
- Scroll to (T248644) and/or highlighting the "Use Legacy Vector" option.
- Can we avoid page-load / a new history entry on "Save"?
- A "Return to the wiki page" button.
- A common and convenient solution is to change the preference immediately when clicking the opt-out link/button, without the journey through "Preferences". Should we consider taking that path?