This is not complete and as such, should be considered a WIP. Comments/questions and such below are welcome
hCaptcha are offering donation of websites "earnings" from captchas being solved to the Wikimedia Foundation rather than keeping it for themselves. While I imagine this won't solve all of Wikimedia's funding problems, it's nice that we're considered a good solution for the problem. Obviously, there's the potential of this resulting in captcha solves on Wikimedia sites also helping generate income
The implementation is similar to reCaptcha, selecting images of a certain type etc.
Localisation is done to ~150 languages, and they're planning on open sourcing UI translations onto github, so a chance to expand that further and to help support more languages (which is one goal of the Captcha replacement project, T7309: Localize captcha images, though removing the text strings to be identified and typed out does make that task kinda redundant)
There's also a labelling service we could potentially use with MachineVision instead of the Google services. It would be potentially possible to use our own captchas to help label our own images from commons, somewhat a mix of T87598: Create a CAPTCHA that is also a useful micro edit and T34695: Implement, Review and Deploy Wikicaptcha
- Does this image matching captcha solution help our Accessibility issues?
- No "no JS" solution (currently)
- Can't serve captcha through API without expecting clients to load JS etc
- Possibility of whitelisting bots
- Browser support versions will differ from ours - https://docs.hcaptcha.com/faq
- Not FOSS
- However, Wikimedia can get access to JS source for auditing purposes