As I am willing to use mw.wikibase.getPropertyOrder method in a Module on my local WikiBase instance, I ended up on the manual page for Interface/Wikibase-SortedProperties .
There are a few things regarding this page that IMHO are unclear and its use is not properly explain. I would like to improve documentation, but I need input from an expert to clarify things.
1) First of all, is this setting a "Client" or a "Repository" one?
On the manual page, the example is:
$wgWBRepoSettings['propertyOrderUrl'] = $wgServer . '/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Wikibase-SortedProperties&action=raw&sp_ver=1';
$wgWBClientSettings['propertyOrderUrl'] = 'https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Wikibase-SortedProperties&action=raw&sp_ver=1';
So it is unclear if this configuration has to set once in the Repository installation, being valid for all the Clients connected, or if it needs to be set on each of the Clients.
2) Second question: is there limitation on where the MediaWiki:Wikibase-SortedProperties can be placed?
Can it be either on Repository or Client MediaWiki?
3) Third question: in the manual it is written
For best results, simply follow the conventions present in Wikidata's Wikibase-SortedProperties page.
I would better specify what these conventions are.
My induction is that the parsing work this way
- each row not starting by * is ignored
- if a row start with *P… or * P…, the property is extracted, ignoring everything following the first space after P…
Am I correct in these assumptions?
I would kindly ask anybody with a deep understanding of this mechanism to contribute here, so documentation can be improved for the sake of all the users.