I created Wikidata edit filter 131 to block certain LTA activity from wide IP blocks, intended as a softer alternative to imposing blocks across many /16 blocks. Since then, while is has been successful in preventing some abuse, there have been multiple cases where it did not fire in cases where it would have been expected to do so. Further, the test tool intended to preview the effect if the tool says that it _does_ fire for those edits. Even if there is some bug in the filter definition, we would expect the filter and the test tool to behave consistently.
Steps to reproduce:
- Open https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter/131
- Click on the tool "Test this filter against recent edits"
- Under "Changes made to page" enter "Q1447095".
- Observe green check marks against certain changes on 2020-04-20 by 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
- Under "Changes made to page", now enter "Q275139".
- Observe green check marks against certain changes on 2020-04-18 by 126.96.36.199.
If the edit filter had been operating consistently with the test tool (and the behaviour I expect), then these changes would have been prevented.