This issue was raised in T246190#6121892.
Steps to reproduce
- Visit https://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Talk:Cats?dtvisual=1
- Click any "Reply" link on the page
- Click the Source mode (if you're not already in it)
- Enter the following into the text input: normal '''bold ''bold-italics''' italics'' normal
- Switch to the Reply tool's visual mode; observe the text appears as such: "normal bold bold-italics italics normal"
- Switch to the Reply tool's source mode; observe the <nowiki/> tag that is inserted: normal '''bold ''bold-italics'''''<nowiki/>'' italics'' normal
- Why is the <nowiki/> tag mentioned in Step 6 above being inserted?
- What purpose does the <nowiki/> tag mentioned in Step 6 above serve?