Wikimedia Vue UI (WVUI)
Here's what we know so far:
- We'll need a number of pretty common components like Button that would be universally useful but these components are needed for Vue.js - Search. If folks want to use it elsewhere, that's cool. If library is folded into another library post Vue.js - Search, that's cool too.
- All Vue.js - Search components are front-end only at this time. If they can be rendered isomorphically, that's ideal but no infrastructure exists for it at time of writing (unless you count tests).
- Code evolves.
Naming impacts at least the following:
- Component naming
- CSS / Less / style naming
- NPM name
- Confusion or overlap with related but distinct technologies and projects (e.g, mediawiki.UI)
- Theming (several themes like a Wikimedia/Wikipedia one, support for others, non-branded ones? Compare Apex in OOUI)
- Historical problems:
- Remember “OOjs UI” at beginning in combination with “OOjs” and people studdering over it & getting confused again and again).
- Who doesn't flip MediaWiki and Wikimedia on a daily basis?
- Review naming things
- Name should most probably not reflect unmade technology decisions.
- Localisation tips
- Foundation rebranding will probably happen
- Edit this task with your name proposals.
- Deadline for name submission is Friday, May 29th, 14:00 UTC.
- Deadline for vote submission is Tuesday, June 2nd, 14:00 UTC.
- Everyone gets three votes, but only one vote per proposal (e.g., you can’t put all three of your votes on one proposal).
- You can vote for your own proposal.
- Multiple proposals per person are allowed.
- Comments won't be considered. You have to submit your vote via the Phabricator Slowvote survey.
- Proposal with most votes wins; if there's a tie breaker, we'll do one more round.
|mw-components||Stephen N||The components start with “mw”||niedzielski, jimbo|
|UU||santhosh|| - Pronounced as "double-you" just like you pronounce "w" first letter of wiki or wikipedia|
- Successor of "OO" library
- Acronym for "U User interface library" - In bad audio/video calls, this can be heard as Vue user interface library- but that is not a problem since this is a Vue user interface library indeed.
- PS: Vue is written by Evan "You" and others
|Thea||dcipoletti||- Thea is the Greek Titaness of Sight and also the Greek word for 'view' (Vue).|
- As this component library will provide reusable components that give birth to other UIs across WM projects, I feel it to be a fitting name as Thea is the mother of Helios, Selene and Eos (sun, moon, and dawn, respectively.)
- Also as it is a core visual component for viewers to enjoy - 'thea' is the root of 'theatre': something that is beautiful in itself (the UI library) but whose function is to gather and compose artists to present their own content (WM projects leveraging it).
|dcipoletti, egardner, annet, hknust|
|MediaWiki Components||Demian||- Pros: utilitarian, minimalistic, clear|
- Cons: unimaginative, platform-specific
|Demian, egardner, annet, mwilliams|
|MediaWiki UI||Demian||- Pros: utilitarian, minimalistic|
- Cons: unimaginative, possible confusion with WMUI; there is already MW core modules and a predecessor library 'mediawiki.ui'
|Wikimedia Vue UI – WVUI||Volker E.||The VW among the UIs. The W will continue to exist even with rebranding matters, it is platform-agnostic, while technology aware.||Demian, Esanders, hknust|
|MediaWiki Vue UI – MwVUI||Demian||Uncoupled from Wikimedia||Demian, Esanders|
|Wiki Components||niedzielski||The library contains parts for the wikis.||annet, Lucy Blackwell, nray|
- A name is chosen.
- Wikimedia Vue UI – WVUI.
- Everyone is equally happy and unhappy.
- Most definitely.
- Any patches merged containing the interim naming are revised with the name chosen.
- Revise the repository name.
- Toss a link to the wikis.
- Patches will be merged in the meantime and updated once a name is chosen.
- A Gerrit repo will not be configured until a name is chosen.