This task is about exploring how we can make it more clear to people how to "create" a ping.
This task is prompted by @Krenair reporting  it not being obvious that for a ping to be "created" you need to explicitly select a suggestion from the username completion list. This behavior is described in the "Scenario" section below.
The behavior that prompted this ticket.
- Go to https://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Talk:Cats
- Click any "Reply" link
- Go to the tool's visual mode
- Type @Whatamidoing-WMF + space
- Notice @Whatamidoing-WMF appears within the text input area; however, a ping (read: user link) has NOT been created.
The below is a provisional list that may not be technically feasible.
- Enable people to create @ mentions simply by typing (as Phabricator and Twitter does)
- "...I was trying @Whatamidoing (WMF) and assumed that once I got to the end of the username (which the suggestions recognised) it'd automatically convert the text into a ping, but this didn't work and I had to click the suggestion." | Source