User story: As a user I would like to have onboarding help for the new special page so that I can understand and use the new features offered.
We'd like to use the GuidedTour extension to onboard users to Special:Investigate.
@dmaza's investigation is on T254314: Investigate GuidedTour usage for Special:Investigate [4Hours]. Copied below:
Here is a compiled list of features that I think would be useful in our case. (steps ~ popups)
- Tours can be started on the server or client side. A cookie can be set to start the tour on the next page load.
- You can start a tour in any specific step ( I see this working for us to trigger different steps depending on the tab )
- Steps don't necessarily have to be connected ( we can have various steps for one tab and not be connected to the steps in a different tab)
- The order of steps can be set conditionally or re-arranged. They can also be skipped conditionally
- There is no need to have a hard dependency on the GuidedTour extension (and we shouldn't).
- There are config options and events we can use to personalize the experience
I want to point out that the extension documentation is really good and the examples give you a good picture of what can be done
Other links for reference
Starting a tour thru a hook. This tour is in core and the dependency on the extension is not allowed (I don't think we need this but just in case)
- Add a GuidedTour for Special:Investigate with the messages and steps listed in T252984: Onboarding workflow for Special:Investigate
For a message in T252984, a popup needs to be attached to an element inside the ellipsis menu. The page will need to load with the ellipsis menu open (for the first time).