Page MenuHomePhabricator

Move WikibaseLib messages only used in one extension to that extension
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

As a developer, I want to know where a message is used to reduce confusion, and I don’t want to load messages that are only needed on Repo wikis on all Client wikis, for performance reasons.

Problem:
In T255114, we identified several interface messages in Wikibase which are defined and loaded in the Lib extension (which is required by both Cient and Repo) but only used in either Client or Repo.

Example:

Screenshots/mockups:

BDD
GIVEN
AND
WHEN
AND
THEN
AND

Acceptance criteria:

  • The messages mentioned in T255114 that are only used in one extension are moved to that extension.

Open questions:

  • How do we actually do this? Should we move all the messages from one JSON file to the other, or only update en.json and qqq.json and let l10n-bot do the work? Does this require any action from the translatewiki.net administrators?

Event Timeline

How do we actually do this? Should we move all the messages from one JSON file to the other, or only update en.json and qqq.json and let l10n-bot do the work? Does this require any action from the translatewiki.net administrators?

I haven’t gotten an answer in #mediawiki-i18n yet, but I remembered that @Amire80 had moved lots of messages to separate api/*.json files for T189982: Move all apihelp translatable messages to separate files. The Wikibase change for that was Split apihelp messages to a separate group, with a corresponding translatewiki config update in Move Wikibase Repo apihelp messages to a separate group. That Wikibase change only updated en.json and qqq.json files, and all the other languages were updated in the next l10n-bot change, so I assume that we should also leave the other languages to the bot this time. I also assume that we don’t need a translatewiki config change this time, because we’re not introducing any new message groups, but it’s probably best to search for the affected keys in the config just in case they’re marked as “ignore” or something like that.

I talked to a @Nikerabbit about a similar case before (in that case we were moving the i18n messages from one git repo to another). He said as long as we keep the keyword the same, it should be fine (and we should add Raymond to the changes just to be sure. But in general it's a not big endeavor to move them.

Change 606721 had a related patch set uploaded (by Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE); owner: Lucas Werkmeister (WMDE)):
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Move more Lib messages to different extension

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/606721

Change 606721 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Move more Lib messages to different extension

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/606721

I did some basic checks of the sitelinks widget and validator errors on Beta, and this seems to be working. I think that’s good enough to close this task.