The current welcome page (latest master):
- It doesn't say what MediaWiki is.
- Three links that I think are useful are present in the README file, and present on mediawiki.org's sidebar, but are lacking from the sidebar for easy discovery:
- Where to get help.
- Where to report bugs.
- How to contribute.
There is an odd "Read me" link in the sidebar which I don't think is attractive or intuitive labelling (it's quite unusual to navigate to a "Read me" from within a regular web page, it's meaning isn't clear, in particular when one is already on the "Welcome" page from the right-hand side navigation element).
.. but if clicked, does lead to something useful:
This is kind of an awkward fit in the installer:
- Double heading due README being dual-purposed.
- Redundant information about downloading MediaWiki.
- Redundant link to the manual (already in the sidebar).
- Non-applicable references to other text files.
- Copy the first part of the readme text to the welcome page.
- Take the useful links and add them to the sidebar.
- Remove "Read me" page from installer.