One of the Community Tech teams wishlist goals is to understand the problems with the current ebook export tool and improving it. Along with making the tool more reliable we also want to make it accessible, so that more people can enjoy The Free Library.
To better understand the experience of readers coming to the site, we’ll conduct usability tests on the current site. We want to gain insights about:
- Where people download free ebooks from
- How do they currently read ebooks — devices, time
- Do people understand what Wikisource is and what they can do with it
- How they would download an ebook from the site
Summary of findings
- People use search or author index to find what they're looking for
- Understanding of ebook formats is low. PDF was the most commonly downloaded, a format that wont work on most ebook readers)
- The book main page is confusing, people aren't able to find download links.