To run tests for MediaWiki extensions we have a central managed list of extensions to inject as dependencies. It does not offer any liberty and we end up running every single tests for the resulting combination.
The aim of this task is to write a proposal that will let us:
- Get rid of defining dependencies in integration/config zuul/parameter_functions.py
- Have the test dependencies defined in the extensions/skins registration system
- Ideally run less test but just the subset we are interested in
This task is simply for tracking purposes. The problem statement, gathering of requirements and expected outcomes will be in another document than this task.
Some past discussions for reference:
- In the context of the new release pipeline: T193824: Determine a standard way of installing MediaWiki lib/extension dependencies within containers
- An actual problem statement and some ideas of enhancements: T225112: New phan dependencies significantly slowed down CI tests
Some low level technical ideas: