This task is about making people aware when they've created – what looks like a ping – for an unregistered username.
As the pinging feature is currently implemented, the username suggest list will "return" results regardless of whether the username the person searching for has been registered or not.
The username suggestion list behaving in this way, coupled with the addition of the Find user:___ heading (T252084) could reinforce peoples' expectation that the person they are searching for has an account considering they searched for them and a "result" showed up.
This task about revising how username "results" are presented in the username suggestion list and/or how they appear within the visual mode's text input area so people know when they are attempting to ping someone who does not "exist" on Wikipedia.
The below are borrowed from T252084#6309510
- Approach #1: revise how usernames are presented within the username suggestion list
- Implementation: when someone initiates the ping feature and "searches for" a username that is not registered, the username suggestion list will visually indicate as much.
- Consideration: there could be cases where people make a selection before the software is able to verify whether the username being searched for is registered or not.
- Approach #2: revise how username are presented within the text input are.
- Implementation: when someone selects a username that is not registered from the username suggestion list, the user links that appears within the visual mode's text input area will communicate to people that the user they are trying to notify is not registered.
- Consideration: in this implementation, the communication happens at a different step long the user's path, potentially meaning the effort to rectify the situation (read: revise the ping) is greater than had the issue been communicated "earlier."
- Approach #3: remove unregistered usernames from the username suggestion list
- Implementation: when people search for a username that is not registered, the "unregistered username that is being searched for" would be removed from the results list.
- Consideration: the removal of the "unregistered username that is being searched for" from the username suggestion list would need to happen AFTER the username suggestion list has already been populated so not to cause a delay in cases where people are needing to create a ping for someone whose username they A) know and B) typed correctly.
- 1. What – if any – additional approaches should be considered?
- 2. What approach will we implement first?
- "Implementation details" are defined
- "Implementation details" are implemented