Page MenuHomePhabricator

Changing the uselang (user language) in Special:Investigate cases a 404 (not found)
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Problem

Oh, another thing I noticed: while on one of the tabs, if I change the interface language (e.g. via uselang URL param or Special:Preferences) and refresh I am taken to a blank page (no data, just the 3 tabs). This appears to be because the URL is still in whatever my language was before I changed it, but now it expects it to be in the language I just changed to.

I don't know if this will be a problem in reality. Do CheckUser need to change their interface languages mid-investigation for any reason?

Proposed Solution
SpecialPageFactory::getLocalNameFor() always uses the content language to determine the "local" name, the same should be done for the URLs in for the subpages in Special:Investigate

Event Timeline

dbarratt created this task.Jul 31 2020, 9:29 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptJul 31 2020, 9:29 PM
dbarratt updated the task description. (Show Details)Jul 31 2020, 9:30 PM
dbarratt added a subscriber: dom_walden.
Reedy renamed this task from Changing the uselang (user language) in Special:Investigate cases a 404 (not found) to Changing the uselang (user language) in Special:Investigate causes a 404 (not found).Jul 31 2020, 9:34 PM
dbarratt renamed this task from Changing the uselang (user language) in Special:Investigate causes a 404 (not found) to Changing the uselang (user language) in Special:Investigate cases a 404 (not found).Jul 31 2020, 9:35 PM
dbarratt updated the task description. (Show Details)

Change 617773 had a related patch set uploaded (by Dbarratt; owner: Dbarratt):
[mediawiki/extensions/CheckUser@master] Use the content language for the Special:Investigate tab urls.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/617773

Change 617773 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/CheckUser@master] Use the content language for the Special:Investigate tab urls.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/617773

On all three tabs, I experimented changing the language (through uselang in the URL and Special:Preferences) and refreshing the page.

The correct page was always displayed.

The URL always stays in English.

Test environment: https://test.wikipedia.org MediaWiki 1.36.0-wmf.3 (08bcb82) 18:13, 6 August 2020; CheckUser 2.5 (aeb6ef5) 21:28, 3 August 2020

Niharika closed this task as Resolved.Aug 14 2020, 9:54 PM