For the IP Info feature that AHT is going to be working on, we will need to acquire IP Information from external IP information websites. We need to vet some external websites to see which ones meet our needs so we can go ahead and start using them.
The information we need from the IP is as follows:
- Location: City, State, Country
- Owner information: company/institution that owns an IP address
- Size of the IP block owned by the company
Nice to have:
- Membership of the IP address in online blacklists
- Whether the IP address is known to be a VPN or Tor node
- Translations available
- Link to Wikidata
@dbarratt did a brief investigation into this earlier which is captured here: T248525#6067003
Based on his investigation we reached out to both ipinfo.io and auth0 signals. The latter did not offer support for what we needed so now we are left with only one site. We need at least 2 other IP vendors that we can rely on to meet our needs.