T140606 ensures the custom signatures people set in Special:Preferences do not contain any linter errors.
This is a task is about ensuring that when a signature does contain a linter error, people are able to easily and clearly understand:
- Error(s) are preventing the signature they have set from being saved
- What those errors mean
- How those errors can be corrected so they can save a custom signatrue
When complete, this section will contain the adjustments we will make to meet the objectives defined in the bullet list above.
This section contains the open questions that will constrain/inform the changes we implement.
- 1. Why does the top-most Missing end tag: small... error's Show error location button highlight the entire range [i] rather than the precise tag that's missing a corresponding end tag as the the middle Missing end tag: small... error's Show error location button does? [ii]
- 2. Is it possible to suppress the last Multiple unclosed formatting tags on the page error rather than the first two? [iii]
- Thinking: the error messages people see should be related as explicitly and precisely as possible to the cause of said error message.
- 3. Within the Missing end tag: small error, is it possible to replace the small text with </small>?
- Thinking: the error message should provide people explicit instructions about what they need to do to resolve the error.
- All "Open questions" are answered
- The behavior described in the "Implementation details" is implemented
|i. Top-most Missing end tag: small...|
|ii. Middle Missing end tag: small...|