This task is for the work involved with making it possible for people who are logged in to turn the Reply Tool on/off.
For the broader conversation/work involved with architecting how we might represent the various settings associated with the tools and enhancements we will introduce as part of the Talk pages project, please see this task: T257889.
People who are logged in that would like to turn the Reply Tool on/off, should be able to do the following:
- Visit Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing
- Notice a section titled Talk pages located beneath the existing Preview section
- Note: "Talk" should match the label we give to discussion pages on that wiki, so by default for English it is "Discussion" (as seen on en.wiktionary.org), whereas on en.wikipedia.org it is "Talk".
- Notice a setting titled Enable quick replying
- Notice a description beneath the Enable quick replying setting that reads: This will show you a link to reply to talk page comments in one click. You can learn more about this feature by reading the [https:\/\/www.mediawiki.org\/wiki\/Special:MyLanguage\/Talk_pages_project\/Feature_summary feature summary]
- This new setting should appear in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing within a new section called Talk pages [i][ii]
- The section title should match what each wiki calls the talk namespace
- The item/setting should called Enable quick replying
- The item/setting should have a subtitle that reads: This will show you a link to reply to talk page comments in one click. You can learn more about this feature by reading the [https:\/\/www.mediawiki.org\/wiki\/Special:MyLanguage\/Talk_pages_project\/Feature_summary feature summary].
- When the radio button is enabled, the [ reply ] links should appear on discussion pages
- When the radio button is disabled, the [ reply ] links should NOT appear on discussion pages
- The Talk pages section should appear after the Preview section on the Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing page.
- The Reply Tool will need to be able to be deployed differently at different wikis
- Meaning: the Reply Tool will need to be available to all users at ar.wiki by default, whereas at fr.wiki, the tool will need be available via Beta Features
Meaning: if you had the Discussion tools Beta Feature enabled at ar.wiki, the Enable quick commenting setting should be turned on by default for you.
- Once deployed, the New Discussion Tool will too have its own preference within the to be created Communication section within Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing
- Should an additional setting be added that enabled people to explicitly set which editing mode – source or visual – they see by default when they open the Reply Tool? Said setting would override the "sticky preference" that is currently implemented.
- For now, no. See: T259943#6425642
- All "Open questions" are answered
- The behavior described in the "Behavior" section is implemented
- All "Requirements" are met
i. A rough mock up of what I have in mind: