- Name of tool/project: Section Translation (a major new feature of Content Translation)
- Project home page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation/Section_translation
- Name of team requesting review: Language Team
- Primary contact: Pau Giner
- Target date for deployment: End of October 2020
- Link to code repository / patchset: https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-ContentTranslation/ (The app folder in it is the relevant part)
Description of the tool/project:
Content Translation is a tool that allows users to translate Wikipedia articles. It was deployed in 2015 as a beta feature, and went through a security review at that time.
Currently, the Language team is working on a set of features that extend the capabilities of Content Translation significantly. We refer to these new features as Section Translation since they enable users to expand existing Wikipedia articles by translating new sections. In addition, Section Translation provides mobile web support, and uses vue-based front-end stack based on the proposal from the Frontend Architecture Group.
Although Section Translation is an incremental development to the Content Translation codebase, we consider it is significant enough to go through a security process, at least for the new parts. A basic proof of concept is already available in a test server, and we expect to be ready for deployment* by the end of October.
*Note that since this is part of the codebase of Content Translation, the code is deployed with it, but it is behind a configuration flag preventing access to it. Thus, by deployment here we refer to the point where the new part is feature complete to be exposed in a wiki.
Description of how the tool will be used at WMF:
Editors will use the tool to expand Wikipedia articles by translating new sections. Other tools (from WMF or elsewhere) can integrate with the tool to drive users to translate a specific section.
- Visual Editor
- Vue 2.6.10(Upgrade to Vue 3 will follow frontend group guidelines)
- Vuex 3.5.1
- Vue-cli for building static assets(Project uses build step)
- CXServer - from translation services(this had went through security reviews in the past and no significant additions for sections translation)
Has this project been reviewed before?
Content Translation was reviewed when it was deployed as a beta feature: T85686. There was another security review targeting the integration of external machine translation services (Google Translate in particular): T144467
Section Translation is a set of new features that expand its functionality but rely on most of the same backend and external services.
Working test environment
Test instance: https://sx.wmflabs.org/
Details on set-up: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation/CX3
Language team. Pau Giner.