imposm3 investigation was performed on a small chunk of the planet, to proceed with final conclusions, we need to test with more data.
Determine if imposm3 behaves accordingly with a bigger portion of the planet, ideally the full planet.
- Use @mapbox/pixelmatch to identify changes in the new implementation of the OSM sync with imposm3
- Document possible changes
- Is it possible to verify data coverage and spot differences between osm2pgsql and imposm3? Yes, with @mapbox/pixelmatch
- Benchmark use enough planet data: PS: Africa continent was chosen
- Benchmark weights on the decision regarding imposm3 data reliability.
Benchmark confirmed that the switch from imposm3 and osm2pgsql does not have major side-effects. The difference between the tiles generated using the two sources, does not impact on any negative results.
Here is the final report for this work: https://thesocialdev.github.io/tile-comparison-report/
In the proposed change, there is a slight change: maritime admin borders now are showed up and before they were stripped out with the populate_admin script. The proposal change remove the need for the admin script though.
Proposed decision: continue with imposm3 switch.