This task involves the work with creating mockups for the experience people will have immediately after having been automatically subscribed to a conversation for the first time.
The experience being designed in this ticket should:
- Cause people to know when and how they will be made aware when someone responds in a conversations they've become subscribed to
- Cause people to know where and how they can adjust if/when they are automatically subscribed to future conversations they participate in
- Cause people to know they have the opportunity to customize the channel(s) (e.g. web, email) through which they are notified when someone responds in a conversations they're subscribed to
- As someone who has just been automatically subscribed to a topic for the first time (read: posted a comment in an existing conversation or started a new one):
- I want to know that I will be made aware when someone posts a new comment in the discussion I just participated in/started, so that I have an accurate expectation for how I will know if someone responds to me.
- I want to know how (read: the channels) I will be made aware when someone posts a new comment in the discussion I just participated in/started, so that I can know where to look for updates about new activity in conversations I'm subscribed to
- I want to how I can adjust the channel(s) (e.g. web, email) through which I am notified when someone responds in a conversations I've subscribed to, so that I can continue to ensure notifications are being delivered to me through the channels I check
- I want to know where I can adjust whether I am automatically subscribed to the future discussions I start and/or participate so that I can continue to ensure the notifications I receive are valuable to me
- I want to know where to look to know whether I am subscribed to a conversation or not, so that I can make sure the software is configured to behave in the way I expect.
- Experiences should be designed for mobile and desktop
- The experience being designed as part of this ticket should not conflict with the existing You have subscribed! "popup" [i]
- The first-run experiences being designed in this ticket should apply to the New Discussion Tool and the Reply Tool.
- Note: we will consider the first-run experiences made for the remaining interfaces in T290779.
- People who click the Visit preferences call to action within the pop-up should be taken to Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing-discussion
The first-run "dialog" / UI component should appear visually related/close to the [ subscribe ] affordance IF the [ subscribe ] affordance and the comment you posted/discussion you started are both visible on the screen at the same time.
- De-scoped in T262103#7377053.
User Flow link
Title: You have been subscribed
Body: You will receive a notification when someone posts a new comment in this discussion. You can adjust your notifications settings in preferences
Button: View Preferences
note: button links to topic subscription preferences
- Meta: should this be implemented within and limited to Discussiontools or should this be implemented more generically so all Echo notifications can benefit from it?
- For now, this implementation will be limited to the DiscussionTools
- When/if should we implement a "first-run" experience for the moment where people are manually subscribing to a topic for the first time? How – if at all – should that experience impact/relate to this one?
- For now, we will *not* be making any adjustments to the Manual Topic Subscriptions first-run experience.
- Reason: we are assuming that once fully deployed, the majority of people will first be subscribed to a topic automatically.
For people who have not yet associated an email account with their Wikipedia account, what should should happen if they indicate they would like to receive new comment notifications via email?
- We will revisit this question in T288178.
- For people who have an email account associated with their Wikipedia account, BUT who have not confirmed said email account, what should should happen if they indicate they would like to receive new comment notifications via email?
- People who meet these criteria will see the experience that will be designed and implemented in T288178.
- All Open questions are answered
- Mockups are posted that fulfill the ===Requirements and ===User stories
i.Note that when this experience happens, the pop up will be replaced by this new popup.