This task involves the work with implementing a prompt that asks people who are logged in to enter or confirm an email address to associate with their account.
Associating an email address with your Wikipedia account is optional. [i]
This means that some percentage of people [ii] will not know when someone is talking to them, unless they decide to come back to the site on their own accord.
This task will implement a prompt of some sort that asks, and offers people [iii] a way, to enter or confirm an email address to associate with their Wikipedia account.
Data pulled in November 2019 [iv] suggests:
- Of all of the people who have created accounts at the 10 biggest wikis, between 55.5% (Commons) and 79.1% (es.wiki) have an email address associated with their account.
- Of all people who have created accounts at the 10 biggest wikis and associated an email address with said accounts, <50% have validated the email address they entered.
After publishing a comment or new section using the Reply Tool or New Discussion Tool for the first time, people [iii] should see the following:
- A dialog/modal of some sort that asks them whether they would like to be notified when someone responds to the conversation they started or the comment they published
- If the person has an email associated with their account, but has not yet confirmed that email address, the modal should show people the email address associated with their account and ask them whether they would like to:
- A) Send a confirmation email to that address
- B) Set a new email address and subsequently confirm it
- C) Skip this process altogether
- If the person does NOT have an email associated with their account, the modal should ask them whether they would like to:
- A) Associate an email with their account
- B) Skip this process altogether
iii. People who are logged in and who A) do not have an email entered in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-personal > Email options or B) have not confirmed the email they entered in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-personal > Email options