Page MenuHomePhabricator

Activate mediasearch profile without requiring an explicit flag
Open, Needs TriagePublic

Description

Searches in NS_FILE that are already supported should use the mediasearch profile without requiring an explicit mediasearch query param.

Note: waiting on T261759 to confirm this is safe to do.

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptSep 8 2020, 12:56 PM

Change 625898 had a related patch set uploaded (by Matthias Mullie; owner: Matthias Mullie):
[mediawiki/extensions/WikibaseMediaInfo@master] Drop mediasearch conditional

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/625898

CBogen added a subscriber: CBogen.Sep 18 2020, 3:05 PM

As per Matthias' comment in T259896#6474662, merging this will turn on the MediaSearch profile for VisualEditor and for any file namespace-only searches on the default Commons search, so we should make sure we're confident before merging this ticket.

T261759 found that there's a strong preference for media search results, so we're unblocked here.

I'd like to wait for T262522 (since it looks like it's getting close to being resolved), but then we can move ahead and enable this by default for NS_FILE searches (incl. the VE media widget)
Any objections?

The Editing team asked that we send them a formal request for API code review about two weeks ahead of when we're planning to integrate MediaSearch into VE. As long as we do that, I'm happy to move forward, as long as @Ramsey-WMF gives us the go ahead.

Ok, so here's what'a relevant for VE:
1: We make mediasearch the default search profile for NS_FILE searches on Commons (that's this ticket). Nothing needs to change for VE since they're already doing the perfect API requests. Everything will remain the same as VE is concerned, except that the search results should start to become better.
2: (optional) VE currently sends language-agnostic API requests - I've prepared a small patch that adds the user language, which should improve multilingual searches (e.g. could better differentiate between English or German "gift")
Both can be merged independently (though #2 wouldn't change much without #1)
Both are ready to go, but I'll mark them as "do not review" until given the go ahead.

Okay, we decided in the MediaSearch project meeting that there's nothing stopping us from going ahead with this.

However I think we need to make sure VE is properly instrumented and get some baselines from T259308 before we make the switch. @nettrom_WMF, do you have any sense of a timeline on that task?

However I think we need to make sure VE is properly instrumented and get some baselines from T259308 before we make the switch. @nettrom_WMF, do you have any sense of a timeline on that task?

I picked T259308 up on Friday and got an initial sense of what's flowing into the Data Lake. I have a meeting scheduled for later today to get a second opinion on my interpretation of what's instrumented, and will update the phab task afterwards with what I've found.

CBogen added a comment.Oct 6 2020, 1:07 PM

As per T259308, we can't measure this at all, so I think we need to wait until we can instrument the addition of media in VE before we can move forward. I'm waiting for more details.