As a person responsible for the WMF backups I want to test the dependencies of the planned media storage backup solution. This can be achieved through a proof of concept implementation that will interact with the existing infrastructure.
- A backup solution capable of backing up and restoring a single file from a specific wiki (e.g. testwiki) between Swift and a local filesystem is deployed to a test host
- Testing covering the following areas is performed:
- Throughput needed/achieved and parallelization for both backup and recovery
- Which API to use (Swift vs. MediaWiki)
- Querying cache layer for speedup?
- Desired recovery methodology (recover with the same name or different name/location?)
- Overhead on Swift infrastructure/need for expansion to accommodate backup needs