Steps to reproduce:
- Create an account with Variant A or D (C doesn't have this problem, since it is already initiated)
- Go through the initiation process and select a combination of topics and tasks such that the article counter shows "0"
- Click "Done" to finish the initiation
- The "No results" card in the Suggested Edits module, since I have selected task/topic combination that provides 0 results
- One card appears.
The single card appears because on the server-side we export a single task to the front-end with the intention of rendering it for mobile Variant C and D users. Later the logic was loosened so that it was shown for all users (since this is a little more performant for the server-side rendering on desktop too). However, we didn't check if the module was already activated before attempting to export this card. As a result we made a query to get tasks using the default filters (no topics, copyedit/links task types). Then we exported a card from that result set to the front-end. After that, the user finishes activation and instead of 0 results, they see this default card, which also goes away on page refresh, since the task type filters of the user don't correspond to the default topic/task type filters. The problem also occurs if the user selects for example only "Hard" difficulty tasks; after activation, they will first see an "Easy" task since that was generated as part of the task preview data.