- Provide a short summary of your proposed post for the Wikimedia Technical Blog:
We operate websites and services that are high volume and rank in the world’s top 20. On a normal day over 90% of the traffic is served by our own Content Delivery Network (CDN). As other parts of our technology stack, the CDN is based on open source software and is constantly evolving. During the last couple of years we have performed various architectural changes to the CDN in terms of on-disk HTTP caching and request routing. This 3 part series of articles will describe some of the changes, which included replacing Varnish with Apache Traffic Server (ATS) as the on-disk HTTP cache component. ATS allowed us to significantly simplify the CDN architecture, increase our uptime, and accelerate the procedure to switch between our two primary data centers in Virginia and Texas.
- Which topic type does your blog post fall under? See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_technical_blog_editorial_guidelines#Outlines_for_topics
Technical explanation: problem / solution
Explainer for complicated tech concept or process
- What audience or audiences do you think your post is appropriate for:
- Will you need assistance with writing your blog post?
Editorial assistance most welcome!
- Does your post need to be published by a certain date?
- Do you have any other questions or comments?
Not at the moment!
@srodlund I've shared with you an initial google doc draft of the first post.