This task is about learning what volunteers think about the design approach we are proposing in T243248.
This section contains what we are trying to learn/accomplish through hosting these conversations on-wiki about the New Discussion Tool mockups created in T243248.
- Gather the information we will need to decide on an initial approach for implementing V1.0 of the New Discussion Tool that leads: Senior Contributors to feel confident the New Discussion Tool will enable contributors, across experience levels, to start new topics in ways that comply with a page's specific conventions (posting formats specified via [preloads]) and customizations (e.g. custom calls to action).
This sections the contents of the questions we intend to ask in order to help satisfy the "Objective" listed above as well as the context that will accompany these questions.
- The changes we considered to be in scope for the design approaches being shared:
- Composition location: where people draft a new topic in relation to the talk page on which said "new topic" will be published?
- Composition experience: what "tools" do people have available to them to represent what they want to talk about in ways other can understand?
- Publishing experience: what happens when people publish the new topic they composed?
- The changes we considered to be out of scope for the design approaches you see?
- Changes to the initial touchpoint/call to action (read: we will continue depending on the "Add topic" tab, for now. We will be revisiting the location(s) of this initial touchpoint in future iterations.
- The questions we need "y'alls" help answering:
- What do you like about what you see in these two different approaches?
- What don't you like about what you see in these two different approaches?
- Can you compare the approaches being proposed here to to the current experience? What aspects do you favor about each?
- Drawing on the experiences you have starting new discussion and observing/talking with newer people who have done and/or tried to do the same, what other improvements do you think would be valuable for us to consider making in a future iteration?
- The New Discussion Tool mockups (created in T243248) and the contents of the "Feedback components" section above are posted to:
- The New Discussion Tool project page on mw.org: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_project/New_discussion.
- The partner wikis we will have identified in T265953
- Tickets are filed for the ideas and issues that surface as part of the on-wiki conversations.